Sunday, January 8, 2012

Spirituality: Saints and Aints


The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary 11th edition defines spirituality as sensitivity or attachment to religious values. Wikipedia states spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality, an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being, or the deepest values and meanings by which people live.


My interpretation of spirituality is simple. I believe it is a state of mind that shows through every day actions. Spirituality does not equate being religious. Prime example: you can be a deacon in church, on the Praise & Worship team and a Bible thumper, but not spiritual. 

Let me give you a little background before I dive in further. I grew up in a Baptist church. My memories consist of matching attire customized by Gabby's Originals (because it is a fashion show every Sunday), loud singing, wild dancing in the aisles for those suddenly struck with the Holy Ghost, waving hand fans with the face of MLK on the front, a gasping stomping Reverend who emphasizes the last word of every sentence-uh. It speaks volumes that I remember these details but none of the taught scripture. As an adult, I am a member of Bedside Baptist (attending church services via the web from the comfort of my bed with a Bible, notebook and pen beside me).  


I am firm believer that I do not need church to worship or know the Lord. I do not need to physically attend a church to help strengthen my relationship with God. I do not need to contribute my hard-earned pennies to the never-ending "Building Fund."


Instead, I pray and conduct my own Bible study inviting the Holy Spirit to join me, guide me into the truth and help me through patient practice to discern right from wrong. Without the distractions of an ineffective church setting, I have a clear and open mind to focus on the Word. And this is how I progress spiritually.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! U hit the nail right on the head with this post. I feel the same way about attending church and what spirituality versus religion is all about. I also grew up in a Baptist church, and my mother became Pentecostal when I was a teen, and even then I realized church isn't usually about church. I'm sure that's a whole different discussion though. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bri! And yes, church isn't usually about church.

      Delete